Inflammation - pain, swelling, redness and heat - is a double-edged sword. This immunity-mediated process is crucial when you have an injury. It helps your body fight infection and clear away damaged tissue. But inflammation can become a chronic condition if your body fails to shut off this reaction, or activates it when there is no apparent trigger.
Inflammation can last for years. It can target a particular area - like your skin, sinuses, prostate, bladder or gums. (Any diagnosis that ends with "-itis" is an inflammatory condition.) Inflammation can become a body-wide condition, and has be identified as the underlying cause of many diseases, including heart disease, type 2 diabetes, cancer, rheumatoid arthritis and neurological degeneration, including Alzheimer's and Parkinson's diseases. Inflammation is a big threat. That's why it's so important to get it under control.
A diet focused on vegetables, fruits, fish, olive oil, nuts and whole grains can reduce inflammation. Nutritional supplements also help, and unlike drugs, they work without causing stomach ulcers. There are plenty of natural inflammation-fighters. Here are some choices:
1. Fish Oil (click here) - Fish oil is rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which decrease the body's production of a long list of pro-inflammatory biochemicals.
2. Antioxidants(click here) - Immune cells cause oxidative damage as they fight infection, and ongoing oxidative damage drives chronic inflammation. Reducing oxidative damage can help control inflammation. Antioxidants like vitamin C, vitamin E and selenium all help to control oxidative damage by neutralizing "free radicals," the molecular renegades that cause oxidative damage and can start a chain reaction that keeps it going.
3. Quercetin - The anti-inflammatory effects of quercetin seem to come from its ability to dampen the production and activity of pro-inflammatory biochemicals such as leukotrienes and prostaglandins, and to block the release of histamine, the biochemical that causes allergic symptoms like runny nose and itchy eyes. Quercetin also seems to help symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome and chronic, nonbacterial prostatitis.
4. Bromelain (Bromelain Plus CLA | Bromelain Plus) - This protein-dissolving enzyme is obtained from the stem and fruit of the pineapple. Bromelain seems to exert its anti-inflammatory effect by altering leukocyte migration and activation. Leukocytes are white blood cells that help fight infection but can also perpetuate inflammation. Bromelain is good for an acute injury or inflammation caused by ongoing injury, such as osteoarthritis, with its ongoing injury to joint cartilage.
5. Resveratrol - Some evidence suggests that resveratrol is a more potent anti-inflammatory agent than NSAIDs such as aspirin, ibuprofen, or indomethacin. Injections of resveratrol into the joints of animals decreases inflammation and reduces cartilage destruction. Like ginger and fish oil, resveratrol inhibits a number of inflammation-producing biochemicals, including COX-1 and COX-2. It also seems to have a regulating effect on certain immune cells. It may reduce T cell proliferation. T cells are involved in some autoimmune diseases, including rheumatoid arthritis. It also affects cells called granulocytes, which are associated with the inflammation produced in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, so it may be helpful in reducing the lung damage associated with this smoking-related ailment.
6. Flax Seed Oil (click here) - For some reason, flax seed seems to especially target the skin. In zoos, it's given to hippos, elephants and rhinos to help keep their massive hides healthy. Some of the fat in flax seed oil converts to EPA and DHA, the same active components in fish oil. Flax seed oil can be a good addition to fish oil, especially if you are on a low-fat diet or have dermatitis - dry, scaly, itchy skin.
7. Curcumin (See Turmeric Supplements, click here) - Curcumin, a component of the yellow spice turmeric, found in curry, may have special anti-inflammatory properties in the eyes, where a layer of yellow pigment helps to protect the retina - and especially, the macula - from the harmful effects of sunlight. The pigment actually acts as a filter, blocking harmful blue UV light from striking the retina. Curcumin has been proven helpful for chronic anterior uveitis (an inflammation of the front part of the eye) and for macular degeneration.
8. Ginger - Certain constituents of ginger, called gingerols, have a strong anti-inflammatory effect. They inhibit a number of biochemicals that promote inflammation, including COX and lipoxygenase pathways. Ginger has been shown to reduce pain from both osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. However, you will need to be patient. It can take up to three months of treatment to get relief.
9. Alpha Lipoic Acid - Alpha lipoic acid is a coenzyme that has lots of talents, including antioxidant and anti-inflammatory protection. It is both fat and water soluble, and can regenerate other important antioxidants like vitamins E, C and glutathione. It provides anti-inflammatory protection in blood vessels and in the fatty tissues of the brain and nerves. It's a must for anyone with diabetes, neuritis or neuropathy, since it also improves glucose metabolism and blood flow in nerves.
10. Zinc - Many people take zinc to boost their immunity, but recent research shows that zinc may also be a natural inflammation fighter. Popping zinc regularly can help reduce inflammation and has also been shown to offer immune support. Researchers at Wayne State University in Detroit, tested whether zinc supplementation decreases oxidative stress. They found that consuming 25 mg three times a day for three months decreased TNF-alpha, a cytokine that amplifies inflammation.
The Anti-Aging Bottom Line: Chronic, uncontrolled inflammation has been linked to a wide range of health problems which can dramatically affect your quality of your life as you age. But research has shown that anti-inflammatory supplements can provide effective relief with virtually no side effects. Before you start taking a NSAID or other potentially dangerous drug to deal with inflammation.
Information was sourced from: http://www.liveinthenow.com/article/10-anti-inflammatory-supplements-that-work
Bromelain Plus (Lactose Free) (100 T) by Biotics Research - supplemental enzyme support, providing Bromelain and Papain, along with inositol and the amino acid L-Cysteine. Product provides proteolytic (decomposition of protein) activity. Helps relieve muscle pain due to overexertion by supporting the body?s natural anti-inflammatory response.
RECOMMENDATION: One (1) tablet three (3) times each day as a dietary supplement or as otherwise directed by a healthcare professional. Contains: 100 Tablets
Why you may need Bromelain Plus CLA:
Many people have some degree of digestive or inflammatory dysfunction, or simply suffer from generalized health challenges which have not responded to conventional remedies. Bromelain Plus CLA™ is a product containing digestive and anti-inflammatory enzymes as well as cellulase, lipase, and amylase. In addition to these enzymes, Bromelain Plus CLA™ also contains inositol, papain, ficin, and the amino acid L-cysteine. Bromelain Plus CLA™ is unique in that the format of its use dictates its action. If taken with food, it will act as a digestive aid. If taken on an empty stomach, it will function as a proteolytic enzyme. Healthcare practitioners also report choosing it to provide dietary support for patients with intestinal parasites, excessive mucous production, dental and gingival inflammation, as well as pancreatic dysfunction. Bromelain Plus CLA™ has also been proven to be a significant asset to detoxification programs and may be used prophylactically when traveling.
Why your healthcare practitioner recommends Bromelain Plus CLA from Biotics Research:
Biotics Research Corporation has long been recognized for its exceptional array of enzyme products, and most practitioners are well acquainted with their broad spectrum enzyme formula – Intenzyme Forte™. While Intenzyme Forte™ has a plethora of applications, it contains animal derived ingredients. Bromelain Plus CLA™ is one of the few enzyme preparations available that does not contain enzymes derived from animal products, thus making it an excellent option for vegetarians and those on restrictive diets. Furthermore, Bromelain Plus CLA™ contains ficin derived from figs. Ficin is a highly active member of the cysteine endopeptidase family of proteases that not only hydrolyzes protein like materials, but it also has vermifuge properties. As always, you can count on Biotics Research Corporation to offer superior nutritional products supplying “The Best of Science and Nature.”
For those whose pH is not well regulated or who prefer not to use porcine products, Bromelain Plus CLA™ is the best choice. It contains powerful proteolytic enzymes from pineapple and papayas (bromelain and papain) as well as lipase and amylase from vegetarian sources. The primary advantage of these vegetable source enzymes is that unlike pancreatin, they work efficiently in the wide range of pH common in those with digestive dysfunction.
Cytozyme-AD by Biotics Research - Source of neonatal bovine adrenal. Consider with chronic fatigue, reactive hypoglycemia, craving for salt, lowered resistance, flu, colds, hypotension, inflammation, lack of ligament strength, ridges in the fingernails and an inability to work under pressure.
Each tablet supplies:
Neonatal Adrenal complex (bovine) 80 mg
Superoxide Dismutase (from vegetable culture) 20 mcg
Catalase (from vegetable culture) 20 mcg
RECOMMENDATION: One (1) tablet one (1) to three (3) times each day as a dietary supplement or as otherwise directed by a health care professional.
After a doctor told me that my adrenals were almost shut down, I started taking Cytozyme AD. I have tried almost every adrenal supplement out there but they either didn't do anything or hurt my stomach. I live on Cytozyme AD. It helps my energy, my allergies, my inflammation,... I no longer have adrenal problems like I did. I feel normal again.
Paula Patterson, 2012, Las Vegas
Folic Acid 800
Folic Acid 800 by Biotics Research (with B12) (180 T)
Supplies folic acid with vitamin B12 and antioxidant enzymes SOD and catalase. Use where supplemental folic acid is indicated.
Folic Acid 800 is a product that contains 800 mcg of folic acid per tablet. This product can be used with anemia, chronic fatigue, digestive inflammation, and elevated uric acid resulting in acute or subacute gout. If you could only use one thing in gout beside black cherries or black cherry juice, it would be high levels of folic acid. Folic acid will help to block the production of uric acid. You can also use folic acid with elevated MCV and MCH, and with nerve degeneration or inflammation. Use it as a synergist to B12, B6, zinc, and magnesium. Use one tablet, three times a day with meals; however, as previously indicated, with gout it should be used at not less than five to six tablets daily. Folic acid should always be used with Vitamin B12, as in B12 2000 Lozenges. Folic acid should also be considered with body building to support lean muscle mass; with PMS; menopausal hot flashes; amenorrhea (also rule out iron anemia and pituitary hypofunction); elevated blood fats; low blood pressure; nervous tension, and exposure to free radicals.
Each tablet supplies: Folic Acid 800 mcg Vitamin B12 12 mcg Superoxide Dismutase 20 mcg Catalase 20 mcg
One (1) tablet each day as a dietary supplement or as otherwise directed by a health care professional.
Intenzyme Forte by Biotics
Proteolytic enzymes are known to break-down proteins into amino acids. Therefore, proteolytic enzymes can be used to support the body's digestion of protein-containing foods.
Proteolytic enzymes have also been shown to facilitate tissue healing after injury, presumably by breaking-down products of inflammation.
Intenzyme Forte is the primier source of proteolytic enzymes from animal and plant sources. This product is high in Trypsin and Chymotrypsin. It's effective for systemic inflammation, tissue damage with associated inflammation, arthritis, food sensitivity, and poor circulation due to inflammation and poor digestion. These tablets are enteric coated to bypass the stomach and dissolve in the small intestine.
Pro-Infla-Zyme by Nutri-West (new name Pro-En-Zyme)
Supportive Action: An comprehensive enzyme based inflammatory & pain support product with synergistic herbs specifically for athletes. Formulated by Dr Evan Mladenoff, doctor of chiropractic for the Kansas City Chiefs. Enzymes break down platelet aggregation and they convert fibrin in to harmless fibrinopeptide. This way the blood can be free from the build-up of metabolic wastes (lactic acid, interferons, interleukins, bradykinnins, etc) allowing improvement of blood circulation and thus rapid healing can occur. This supplement is best used for the repetitive stress of athletics or repetitive stress work injuries. Arthridities (arthritis) require a different approach to inflammation reduction.
Suggested Dosage: For the athlete; two capsules within thirty minutes before event (exercise/training/play) and two capsules within 15 minutes after the event. Do not take with food (10 minutes before or after) as food will react with the enzymes and inactivate them before they get to your circulatory system.
For the work related environment; two to six capsules a day between meals during working hours and immediately after.
Contraindications: Avoid directly before and after surgery.
An enzyme based inflammatory & pain support product specifically formulated for athletes.
Initial injury: Take 2-4 capsules 3-4 times a day (or one per hour while awake). Continue supplementation a minimum of 14 days post injury at 1-2 capsules 3 X day. Take supplements between meals.
No known contraindications.
Sesame Seed Oil Caps
Sesame Seed Oil Caps, 60 Capsules, by Biotics Research
Sesame Seed Oil Caps by Biotics Research contains 770mg of organic, virgin sesame seed oil per capsule.
Sesame Seed Oil supplies a compound called sesamin which blocks insulins effect of Delta 5 Desaturase. When left unchecked, insulin stimulates Delta 5 Desaturase, diverting anti-inflammatory Omega 6 fats (DGLA) into the pro-inflammatory Arachidonic Acid (AA) cascade, resulting in pain and inflammation.
Biotics Research has formulated a perle form of this product, containing organic, virgin sesame oil at high concentrations. This allows a useful amount of oil with a minimal number of perles.
Supplement Facts: Each capsule contains: Calories 10 ---Calories from Fat 10 Total Fat 1g Oleic Acid 300mg Linoleic Acid 300mg Other Ingredients: Sesame seed oil (organic virgin) and capsule shell (gelatin, glycerin, carob extract, water).
Recommended Use: Adults: As a dietary supplement, take one capsule each day or as recommended by a healthcare professional.
Warnings: If you are pregnant or nursing, please consult your healthcare professional before using this product. Keep out of the reach of children.
Total Flm (formerly Total Inflam) Total Inflam by Nutri-West
UltraInflamX Plus 360 Medical Food, 25.7 (728 g) Powder Container
UltraInflamX Plus 360? Medical Food by Metagenics
Recommendations: Blend, shake, or briskly stir two level scoops (52 grams) into eight ounces of chilled water, juice, or acceptable fruit as listed in the dietary guidelines (Quick Start Guide).Follow recommended dosage guidelines (Quick-Start Guide/Patient Guide) or as directed by your healthcare practitioner. Consume within 10 minutes of reconstitution.
UltraInflamX® Plus 360? is a medical food formulated to provide specialized nutritional supportincluding reduced iso-alpha acids (RIAA, from hops), L-glutamine, and easily digestible rice proteinfor patients experiencing inflammation and pain associated with inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), such as Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis.
Features selective kinase response modulators (SKRMs) in the form of RIAA, which has been shown to beneficially influence the function of enzymes involved in inflammatory processes.
RIAA has demonstrated potent antioxidant activity and research suggests that it may help improve overall redox status through influencing inflammation signaling molecules such as NF-?B, COX-2, and PGE2
Includes ginger and rosemary, which may help support healthy eicosanoid and cytokine metabolism
Provides turmeric extract, which has been shown in research to inhibit the activities of a wide variety of enzymes, cytokines, eicosanoids, and reactive species implicated in pain and inflammation
Supplies a low-allergenic potential protein base in the form of rice protein concentrate
NUTRITION INFORMATION PER SERVING (ORIGINAL SPICE):
Potassium (as dipotassium phosphate)
Vitamin A (as retinyl palmitate)
Vitamin A (as beta-carotene)
Vitamin C (as ascorbic acid)
Calcium (as calcium citrate and dicalcium phophate)
Vitamin D (as cholecalciferol)
Vitamin E (as d-alpha tocopheryl acetate)
Thiamin (as thiamin HCl)
Niacin (as niacinamide and niacin)
Vitamin B6 (as pyridoxine HCl)
Vitamin B12 (as cyanocobalamin)
Pantothenic Acid (as D-calcium pantothenate)
Phosphorus (as dipotassium phosphate and dicalcium phosphate)
Magnesium (as magnesium citrate, sulfate)
Zinc (as zinc gluconate)
Copper (as copper gluconate)
Chromium (as chromium polynicotinate)
L-Lysine (as L-lysine HCl)
Turmeric Rhizome Extract (Curcuma longa)
[standardized to 95% (200 mg) curcuminoids]
Rosemary Leaf Extract (Rosmarinus officinalis)
Ginger Root Extract (Zingiber officinale)
[standardized to 5% (5 mg) total pungent compounds]
Sulfate (as magnesium Sulfate)
Other Ingredients: Rice protein concentrate, rice bran, rice syrup solids, fructose, medium chain triglycerides, olive oil, natural flavors, silica, magnesium salts of reduced iso-alpha acids (from hops, Humulus lupulus L.), hydrogenated soybean oil encapsulate, xanthan, carrageenan, and cellulose gum.
Saturated fat content is contributed by a beneficial form of fat, medium chain triglycerides, which have recognized health benefits. ChromeMate® GTF is a registered trademark of InterHealth, Inc. This product contains no high fructose corn syrup. ORAC value is a measure of antioxidant potential.
Warning: Do not use if pregnant or nursing or if taking anticoagulants. If taking other medication, consult your healthcare practitioner before use.
INFLAMMA RESPONSE COMPOUND
Formerly Turmeric/Chamomile Compound
Supports a Healthy Response to Occasional Minor Inflammation*
Other Ingredients: certified organic grain alcohol, distilled water & vegetable glycerine.
The herbs used to prepare this compound are Certified Organically Grown1 without the use of chemical fertilizers, pesticides or herbicides, or they are Custom Wildcrafted™2 in their natural wild habitat. They are hand-harvested at their optimal potency, and are then promptly extracted while still fresh & succulent F or after being carefully shade-dried D.
Suggested Use: Shake Well Before Using Three tofive times per day take 30 to 40 drops in a little water.
Caution:Seek expert medical advice before using during pregnancy or with medical drugs.Keep Out of the Reach of Children
Size: 1 oz
I have been a customer for some time now and I just want to thank you for your wonderful service. In all the time I have dealt with your company, I have never had a disappointing experience. I have always received my supplements in an expeditious manner and I've never received an order with any problems.
It is truly a pleasure to do business with you folks. I am a committed customer and do not hesitate to recommend you to anyone who is interested."
"There are several Total Supplements' products that I rely on to keep me healthy and functioning. I usually try to order them in advance but sometimes forget or have to wait to order. I am and can always be confident that they will arrive very quickly, much quicker than any other product that I order (that aren't even of the same quality). I have been a customer for well over 5 years and have confidence in saying that they will get you your product fast."